If you’re looking for the best dog friendly beaches in Ohio, then you’ve come to the right website.
We’ve got loads of pup-friendly information on the top beaches in Ohio that allow dogs.
So come on in. We’re looking forward to helping you out!
Table of contents
- 1. Columbia Beach
- 2. Nickel Plate Beach
- 3. Edgewater Park
- 4. Salt Fork State Park
- 5. Harrison Lake State Park
- 6. Port Clinton City Beach
- 7. Pebble Beach
- Conclusion About Dog Friendly Beaches in Ohio
- Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Friendly Beaches in Ohio
- Related Articles
1. Columbia Beach
- 25550 Lake Road, Bay Village, OH 44140
- Offers swimming access for you and your pup in Lake Erie
- Dogs must be leashed at all times whilst at Columbia Beach in Ohio
- Plenty of lawn close to the beach, for your dog to run around on
- Views of the beautiful Columbia Beach Falls, a 40-foot-high waterfall
Columbia Beach in Ohio is on the banks of beautiful Lake Erie. It’s located at the northern end of Columbia Park in Bay Village.
Cleveland is just a short 20-minute drive away.
A Fabulous Dog-Friendly Ohio Beach
This is a fabulous dog-friendly Ohio beach. Just be sure to keep your furball on a leash at all times whilst at the beach.
And enjoy the views of the gorgeous Columbia Beach Falls when you’re there!
Website: Columbia Beach
2. Nickel Plate Beach
- 1 Nickel Plate Way, Huron, OH 44839
- Popular dog-friendly beach on the shores of Lake Erie
- Leashed dogs are welcome at Nickel Plate Beach all year round
- Restricted hours for dogs from Memorial Day to Labor Day
- Large sandy beach with a scenic view of the Huron Lighthouse
Nickel Plate Beach is located on the banks of Lake Erie, in the town of Huron. It’s a 40-minute drive west from Columbia Beach.
You’re allowed to bring your dog here at any time of the year. Just make sure that she’s on a leash at all times.
From Memorial Day to Labor Day, dogs are not permitted at the beach from 10am to 6pm. But early morning strolls and evening escapades with Fido are still allowed!
There’s A Parking Fee Of $6 Per Vehicle At Nickel Plate Beach
There’s a parking fee of $6 per vehicle.
And please note that there are no permanent restrooms at the beach. Portable restrooms are available during the high season.
Website: Nickel Plate Beach
3. Edgewater Park
- Whiskey Island Drive, Cleveland, OH 44102
- 147 acres of beautiful parkland to explore with your pup
- Dogs are permitted to swim off-leash in Lake Erie
- Excellent facilities, including picnic tables, grills, walking trails and a dog beach
- Edgewater Park in Ohio is open Monday through Sunday, from 6am to 11pm
Edgewater Park is located in Cleveland, Ohio. It’s on the shore of Lake Erie, just 10 miles east of Columbia Beach Falls.
This gorgeous Cleveland park and beach are a haven for dogs!
Note that it’s not the WHOLE of Edgewater Beach that permits dogs. The doggie section of the beach is on the westernmost portion. So take a left when you first hit the beach.
One Of The Best Dog Friendly Beaches in Ohio
And it’s called the K-9 Coastline. What a great name!
With its fabulous facilities and beautiful beach, Edgewater Beach is definitely one of the best dog friendly beaches in Ohio.
So what are you waiting for?! Go and explore it with your four-legged friend!
Website: Edgewater Park
4. Salt Fork State Park
- 14755 Cadiz Road, Lore City, OH 43755
- Dog park and beach with plenty of grass
- Fenced beach area with direct lake access for dogs to swim off-leash
- Your pup can run around off leash between 8am and 3pm every day
- Great amenities, including plenty of parking, picnic tables and a short paved walking trail
Salt Fork State Park is the largest state park in Ohio. It’s close to Cambridge and Lore City, in the eastern part of the state.
And it’s a fantastic place to bring your dog!
The dog park within the state park is a one-acre fenced beach area. It provides direct access to Salt Fork Lake. Your pup can swim off-leash in the lake!
Your Pup Can Run Free Off Leash Between 8am and 3pm Every Day
And within the park grounds, your furball is allowed to run around off leash between 8am and 3pm every day.
Just be aware that there is no shade on the beach area. So be sure to bring some shade and plenty of water for both you and your canine companion.
Website: Salt Fork State Park
5. Harrison Lake State Park
- 26246 Harrison Lake Road, Fayette, OH 43521
- Spectacular location, in the midst of gently rolling hills in northwest Ohio
- Dogs are allowed to play at the dog swim area near the campground and go for a swim – no leash required
- Open between 8am and 11pm every day, and free to visit
- Explore 3.5 miles of scenic trails and picnic areas
Harrison Lake State Park is located in the northwestern corner of Ohio. It’s close to the borders with both Michigan to the north and Indiana to the west.
The state park sits just 3 miles southwest of Fayette.
Within this gorgeous 142-acre state park, there is a beach and a swimming area that is designated just for dogs!
Your Pup Can Happily Frolic In The Clear Water At Harrison Lake State Park
So your pup can happily frolic in the clear water – with no leash required!
However, please note that Fido should be on a leash throughout the rest of the state park. It’s just the beach area that is off-leash.
This is a really beautiful Ohio dog beach! Come and visit and have tons of fun with your pup!
Website: Harrison Lake State Park
6. Port Clinton City Beach
- 1100 East Perry Street, Port Clinton, OH 43452
- Gorgeous 2,180-foot-long beach
- Leashed dogs are allowed at Port Clinton City Beach
- Superb views of South Bass Island
- Great location on Lake Erie
Port Clinton City Beach enjoys a spectacular location, just across the street from Lakeview Park.
It sits on the southern banks of Lake Erie, just 50 minutes east of the city of Toledo, Ohio.
And the gorgeous sandy beach here is huge, coming in at 2,180-feet long. This wonderful swimming beach is between Maple Street and Hayes Avenue.
Fantastic Views Of South Bass Island
But of course the best thing about Port Clinton City Beach is that dogs are allowed here all year round!
Just remember to keep your furry friend on a leash at all times.
This is definitely one of the best Ohio dog beaches!
Website: Port Clinton City Beach
7. Pebble Beach
- 515 East Lakeshore Drive, Kelleys Island, OH 43438
- Beautiful island location on the shores of Lake Erie
- Dogs are allowed to run around off-leash and swim in the gorgeous lake
- Stunning sunset views over Lake Erie
- Daily ferry service from Marblehead, Ohio, to Kelleys Island
Pebble Beach is situated on the southern shores of Kelleys Island.
The car ferry to Kelleys Island is a short 20-minute boat ride. And they take pets as well! Ferries run at least every hour, and through the main part of the day, they’re every 30 minutes.
For more ferry information, check out Kelleys Island Ferry Boat Line.
Your Furball Is Free To Run Around Off-Leash And Swim In Gorgeous Lake Erie
There’s also the Jet Express, which departs seasonally from Sandusky. Though note that it can’t carry vehicles. Just foot passengers and pets!
And when you get to Pebble Beach, your furball is free to run around off-leash and swim in gorgeous Lake Erie! Tons of fun!
Pebble Beach is a wonderful dog-friendly beach in Ohio!
Website: Pebble Beach
Conclusion About Dog Friendly Beaches in Ohio
Ohio may be a landlocked state, but it contains plenty of dog friendly beaches. Especially along the banks of the gorgeous Lake Erie.
Make sure you take plenty of water and shade with you. And always take note of any beach signage relating to dogs.
So what are you waiting for?! Get out there and go and enjoy the beautiful Ohio dog beaches!
And remember to let us know which one is your favorite.
If you’ve enjoyed finding out all about the best dog friendly beaches in Ohio, then take a look at our comprehensive round-up of some of the best dog beaches in the US
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Friendly Beaches in Ohio
Yes, dogs are allowed on certain beaches in Ohio. Though do always check the local authority websites for up-to-date dog rules and regulations.
Some of the best places to take your dog for swimming in Ohio are along the shores of Lake Erie. Pebble Beach on Kelleys Island, Harrison Lake State Park and Salt Fork State Park are some of the best swimming spots for your pup.
Yes, many of the Lake Erie beaches are dog friendly. Some of the best include Columbia Beach, Nickel Plate Beach and Edgewater Park. Always check the beach signage, though.
So what do YOU think? Which is YOUR favorite dog beach in Ohio? Let us know by leaving a comment – we’d love to hear from you.
Things change all the time, so if any of the information in this article is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know – just leave us a comment below. Many thanks!